A new year is sort of a new beginning for many of us right? Cleaning, organizing, diets, new goals and self-promises!
That is all good and well and we are totally there with you, I just ask you to please take it one day at a time! I say this to you at the same time I try to remind myself!
Cleaning and organizing has sort of been our theme for the beginning of the year like I told you in the last post. We are „all the way or skip it“ kind of a group and that mantra is the same in every field or project we take on. Tying loose ends, moving, getting rid of things and taking up a healthier lifestyle.. at least for the first couple of weeks of the year right?!
I and María have taken a grip in the organization and have been having all sorts of meetings to plan the year. I even ordered a huge calendar postar from this page and I love it and can’t wait to get it! Like I said, go big or go home, so I ordered the largest possible: 1,0 X 1,25m. EPIC!
My Tóta had her birthday the 4th of January and she got a Garmin step counter from me (I got one also), we got hiking shoes from her parents for Christmas and María and Börkur gave her a Nutribullet machine for her birthday.. Tota also gave me Zumba shoes for Christmas.. seeing a theme here?
Well we have embraced this all and then some and have been making some super Nutribullet shakes, moving our asses, walking about and dancing like nobody’s watching in Zumba.
We do try to think: one day at a time.. because detoxicating the sugar, wheat and alcohol out of the system after some serious consumption over the holidays is a task on it’s own!
But man is it motivating to see some results and it is already happening, yes, sure lots of water retention in the beginning for sure but believe me, it all counts! ;)
I also have a “carrot”.. yeah, me and María are going to Copenhagen in the end of the month to visit Mekkín, María’s daughter, my niece and I cannot wait!!!
Then there are no rules, just walking about the city, checking out some designer stores and basically paint the town red right!
Speaking of Mekkín, she is so great at doing Nutribullet shakes since she has owned this machine for a while now and has given us loads of great tips. She has also just started blogging which is so exciting for me because she is quite the crafter and this gives me a change to follow her projects!
She made a blog the other day with some Nutribullet recipes and tips and tricks and I want to share some of them with you here:
Since I have some experience already with Nutribullet and I knew my friend was about to get one for Christmas I decided to write a little blog here with some recipes and tips on the do’s and don’t’s.
Here are some of the things I love to do, things from my own head and something I have seen from others along the way..
- if you are using avocado or a banana for the blasts (preferably both, half and half) the shakes becomes very creamy, soft and nice.
- you do not need to fill the liquid content to the max line.
- it is FORBIDDEN to blast for more than 30seconds at a time.
- rather do shorter blasts more often and add liquid as needed!
- it is great to grind almonds, coffee and seeds in the smallest container.
- I do not recommend making buttercream in this machine, the liquid amount isn’t sufficient and the glasses become fatty for a long time!
- use the glasses as needed, there are different sizes and the best mix is when there isn’t much extra space in the glass.
- I find it very convenient to prepare couple of shakes at a time and freeze in plastic bags then simply add spinach, vegetables and liquid at the time of mixing. I for example only use half a banana and half an avocado and if I don’t make another shake straight the next day, the ingredients don’t store well so simply cut it down and store it in the freezer!
- plus a little advise from my good friend Jamie Oliver, if you find a good gingerroot (not to grainy) buy it in bulk, cut in pieces and freeze. It is so convenient not having to have to prepare the root every time you make a shake!
- instead of using whole lemons and limes in the juices/shakes I use only the juice from them and I absolutely find it essential, plus its very healthy!
If you do not have the Nutribullet machine and completely recommend it because as you can see, I LOVE IT! (You can however make all of these drinks in another type of a blender!)
1-2 cm ginger (not necessary)
(you can also add more vegetables: spinach, broccoli, kale)
Juice from one lime
Frozen fruits (tropical, pineapple, mango etc).
1 ½ dl Tropical juice and thin it down slightly with water.
juice from one lemon
2 large carrots
orange juice and water to thin it down.
Pineapple (frozen or fresh)
Mango (frozen or fresh)
Orange juice/ tropical juice.
5-6 frozen strawberries
1 spoon vanilla protein (you can also use strawberry)
Almond milk, low fat milk, water
1-2 table spoons chia seeds.
1 celery or a little broccoli
Frozen tropical fruit.
½ pear or ½ green apple
orange juice or tropical juice.
water as needed.
1 cup coffee
50 gr unsalted butter
1 table spoon coconut butter.
Almond milk or coconut milk
Summery boost slush
2-3 spoons amino energy (pineapple/fruit fusion)
1 handful frozen fruit (pineapple and mango/ strawberries)
water and ice
½ frozen banana (you can also use ½ avocado)
handful frozen strawberries.
1 spoon vanilla/chocolate protein.
Create your own happiness!
If you liked this post, please be a dear and share the joy:)
Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present. -Jim Rohn
Katla, on behalf of
- Systur & Makar –
Plus you can sign up for our newsletter here on the right!